തത്സമയ ദൃശ്യങ്ങളിലേക്ക് . നേരില് കാണാന് ലക്ഷങ്ങള്;വീഡിയോ
New year celebrations around the world – live
WATCH LIVE: Ring in 2017 with live celebrations around the globe!
Sydney New Year's Eve 2016 - 9pm Family Fireworks
Happy New Year 2017: Auckland, New Zealand welcomes new year first of all in world
Happy New Year Fireworks Live Streaming 2017 | New Year's Eve Fireworks Show
Former candidate Jeb Bush endorsed Ted Cruz for the Republican presidential nomination on Wednesday, saying the U.S. senator from Texas represents the party\\\'s best chance of winning the White House.
In a statement, the former Florida governor called Cruz a consistent, principled conservative who has demonstrated an ability to appeal to voters and win primary contests.\\\"Washington is broken, and the only way Republicans can hope to win back the White House and put our nation on a better path is to support a nominee who can articulate how conservative policies will help people rise up and reach their full potential,\\\" Bush said.
The 63-year-old Bush, whose father and brother served as president, dropped out of the presidential nomination fight after losing badly in South Carolina on Feb. 20.The endorsement comes as establishment Republicans scramble to stop front-runner Donald Trump from winning the nomination because of his divisive proposals like a plan to deport 11 million illegal immigrants.Cruz has run in second place behind Trump and could conceivably win enough Republican delegates to take the nomination.
Ohio Governor John Kasich\\\'s lone path to the nomination is to extend the nomination race until the party\\\'s national convention in July. The idea is to deny Trump the required 1,237 delegates needed and force party leaders to consider someone else.A source close to Bush said Bush picked Cruz because he has the most viable path to the nomination and has shown that he can win states. The source said Bush considers a push for a contested convention to be a \\\"hail-Mary strategy at best.\\\"
In the weeks after he withdrew, Bush met in Miami with former rivals Cruz, Kasich and U.S. Senator Marco Rubio of Florida. Rubio dropped out of the race after losing Florida last week. Bush spoke by phone to Cruz on Monday.In his statement, Bush resumed his sharp criticism of Trump, saying Republican voters must move to overcome \\\"the divisiveness and vulgarity\\\" that Trump has brought into the political arena \\\"or we will certainly lose our chance to defeat the Democratic nominee and reverse President (Barack) Obama\\\'s failed policies.\\\"
Special: Melissa McCarthy Stuns Hollywood by Dropping 55 lbs in 40 Days
\\\"To win, Republicans need to make this election about proposing solutions to the many challenges we face, and I believe that we should vote for Ted as he will do just that,\\\" Bush said.In a statement, Cruz said Bush\\\'s endorsement \\\"is further evidence that Republicans are continuing to unite behind our campaign to nominate a proven conservative\\\" to defeat Democratic favorite Hillary Clinton in the Nov. 8 election.
Beijing: A report by the Supreme People\\\'s Court (SPC) on Sunday said the country will set up an international maritime judicial centre in its latest bid to protect national sovereignty and maritime rights.Courts across China shall work to implement the national strategy of building the country into a \\\"maritime power\\\", Xinhua quoted Chief Justice Zhou Qiang as saying.\\\"(We) must resolutely safeguard China\\\'s national sovereignty, maritime rights and other core interests,\\\" Zhou told nearly 3,000 lawmakers.
\\\"(We) must improve the work of maritime courts and build an international maritime judicial centre.\\\"
According to the chief justice, some 16,000 maritime cases were concluded by Chinese courts last year, the most in the world. The country is also home to the largest number of maritime courts globally speaking, he added.Earlier reports said that some 225,000 cases involving over 70 countries and regions were handled by China\\\'s maritime courts in the three decades between 1984, when the first such court was set up, and 2013.
Close to 8,000 vessels, of which 1,660 were foreign, were detained and 663 were auctioned off during that period.
One notable case, Zhou said, involved a Chinese fishing boat Minxiayu 01971 which took damage in a collision with a Panama-flagged cargo ship in waters off the Diaoyu Islands in September 2014. The owner of the Chinese ship brought the case to Xiamen maritime court in China which was ended via mediation.The case clearly demonstrated China\\\'s jurisdiction over the region, the chief justice said.
The launch of Ukraine’s new police patrol force last year sparked an internet craze of citizens posting selfies with newly recruited officers.Their popularity stemmed not from their uniforms, body cameras and tablets, but the fact they did not demand bribes.The most visibly successful reform to have emerged from the pro-European Maidan protests in 2014 is now under threat, serving and former law enforcement officials say, accusing vested interests of seeking to obstruct and discredit the force.Vladyslav Vlasiuk, a lawyer by training who rose through patrol police ranks to become Chief of Staff of the National Police, quit in March, “exhausted” by the pushback against change, he told Reuters in his first media interview since.The experience he described shows how fragile Ukraine’s progress in transforming itself into a Western-facing free market democracy could prove to be.
The police reform, possibly for the first time in the former Soviet republic’s history, “showed international partners that we in Ukraine are actually able to carry out some reforms,” Vlasiuk said.Before Maidan, police “would always do what the prosecutors say. Then it changed,” he said. “The National Police positioned itself as a separate and equal law enforcement power. Prosecutors did not like it.”“We are seeing the prosecution service chasing patrol officers for wrongdoings. There is now a tension which is blocking the reform of the national police.”
In Ukraine, prosecutors have the power to launch investigations into public servants suspected of wrongdoing — a power which police officers say is being abused.“When you are working within any public service in Ukraine you have to be ready to deal with a lot of inspections, a lot of bullshit, a lot of irrelevant regulations,” Vlasiuk said.“And the prosecution is a controlling organ which can punish you for, in their opinion, improper actions,” he said.The General Prosecutor’s office did not provide immediate comment when asked about the allegations.The United States and European Union, which are helping to fund a $40 billion aid-for-reform program for Ukraine, have repeatedly called for a clean-up of the General Prosecutor’s office, which they see as a key obstacle to fighting corruption.
Several high-profile reformers have been sacked from the government and prosecution service or resigned in frustration.First Deputy Interior Minister Eka Zguladze has also quit, to take on an advisory role in the ministry. Her resignation statement on Wednesday gave no reason but contained a warning over the fate of reforms.
“I want to emphasize that these islands of success will drown in the ocean of corruption, nihilism, the bureaucracy, if we do not build bridges between them, creating a continent,” she said. “And if in Ukraine we do not have the strength to go forward, the door, that we just opened, may close forever.”With the help of U.S. money and training, and headed by a former Georgian minister, the new police force was set up as part of a root-and-branch reform to weed out endemic corruption.
The new patrol section was launched in July and incorporated into a revamped National Police force. The patrol officers seemed to be everything those dreaming of a new Ukraine after Maidan hoped: committed, trustworthy, less susceptible to bribes and not afraid to go after the rich and the powerful.Drawn from all walks of life, they carried smart tablets as well as body cameras to make police work transparent. In a sign of changing times, Energy Minister Ihor Nasalik announced on Friday he’d been given a parking fine — and willingly paid.Vlasiuk, 27, was part of a new generation of Young Turks entering public service after Maidan. He is in the process of setting up an NGO to provide legal assistance to officers and burnish the police’s image nationally.His former boss, a Georgian technocrat called Khatia Dekanoidze in charge of the National Police, described in a separate interview cases of vested interests undermining change.
An initiative to fire corrupt or incompetent officers by vetting them in a “reattestation” process has led to hundreds of lawsuits by sacked officers, some of whom got their jobs back.
Dekanoidze said judges were deliberately reinstating discredited officers for fear the judiciary could be next.“This is a revenge of the old system, because the judiciary system, especially courts, they are part of the old system,” Dekanoidze said.
There are other obstacles to reforms. The police budget is tight in a country at war with Russian-backed separatists and an economy that shrank by a tenth last year.An incident that has grown into a cause celebre for the police occurred on the night of Feb 7. A police car chased a speeding BMW through the streets of Kiev, recorded on a black and white police camera in footage later broadcast on TV.
Starting with warning shots, three police officers fired a total of 34 bullets at the car during the course of a 40 minute chase, according to an interior ministry spokesman. Eventually, one of the bullets killed a 17-year-old passenger inside.Prosecutors accused the officer of wilful murder and abuse of authority; he is under house arrest while they investigate.Police said the officer was trying to protect the public from a driver who was drunk. Their supporters protested in Kiev holding banners saying “Keep Calm and Support Patrol Police” and the hashtag #savepolice appeared on Twitter.
Anton Gerashchenko, a lawmaker and member of the interior ministry council, said the case was an example of prosecutors seeking to show they remained in control by discrediting police.Dekanoidze echoed that view. “Police reform is the only reform that is visible, that is a real reform for Ukrainians,” she said. So when prosecutors went after those defending the lives of ordinary Ukrainians, “it looked like The Inquisition.”She added there were other cases when police had gone after illegal gambling rackets — only for prosecutors to open criminal cases against the officers.A Western diplomat, who did not want to be identified by name, said the fight back by prosecutors showed reforms were starting to have a real impact.
“Prosecutors here are millionaires,” the diplomat said. “They are powerful people who will fight to the very end to protect the resources vertical they created.”Much will hinge on the performance of the new General Prosecutor, Yuriy Lutsenko, a former interior minister whose appointment on Thursday raised eyebrows because he had no legal background.Dekanoidze said she hopes prosecutors under Lutsenko will cooperate with the police. “Because … without a good and fair prosecution, police can’t do anything.”
A German-Iranian teenager who shot dead nine people in Munich was a deranged lone gunman obsessed with mass killings who drew no inspiration from Islamist militancy, police said on Saturday.The 18-year-old, born and raised locally, opened fire near a busy shopping mall on Friday evening, triggering a lockdown in the Bavarian state capital.Seven of his victims were themselves teenagers, who police said he may have lured to their deaths via a hacked Facebook account on what was the fifth anniversary of twin attacks by Norwegian mass murderer Anders Breivik that killed 77 people.
The Munich shooting, in which a further 27 people were wounded, some seriously, was the third act of violence against civilians in Western Europe – and the second in southern Germany – in eight days.Bavarian state crime office president Robert Heimberger said the gunman, who German media named as Ali David Sonboly, was carrying more than 300 bullets in his backpack and pistol when he was later found dead of a gunshot wound.Following a police search of the attacker’s room, where a book on teenage shooting sprees was discovered, Munich police chief Hubertus Andrae all but ruled out an Islamist militant link in the attack.“Based on the searches, there are no indications whatsoever that there is a connection to Islamic State” or to the issue of refugees, he told a news conference.“Documents on shooting sprees were found, so the perpetrator obviously researched this subject intensively.”
The gunman was born and brought up in the Munich area and had spent time in psychiatric care, and there was no evidence to suggest he had an accomplice, Andrae said.Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere said it was also too early to associate the Munich shootings with Breivik, who in 2011 shot dead 69 attendees at a youth summer camp hours after murdering eight others by detonating a van bomb in Oslo.Robert Heimberger, president of the Bavarian state criminal agency, told the news conference police were investigating findings suggesting the Munich gunman invited people to a fast food restaurant at the mall via the Facebook account.
“(He) said he would treat them to what they wanted as long as it wasn’t too expensive – that was the invitation,” Heimberger said. He added that this still needed to be verified, but there were many clues suggesting the attacker had set up the invitation and sent it or posted it online.Turkey’s foreign minister said three Turkish citizens were among nine people killed in the Munich attack while Greece’s foreign ministry said one Greek was among the dead. According to foreign media reports, there were also three Kosovo Albanian victims.Chancellor Angela Merkel said she was “mourning with a heavy heart” for those killed, and that the security services would do everything to ensure the public was safe.
Bavarian Premier Horst Seehofer said the killings – together with an axe attack by a 17-year-old asylum-seeker that injured five people in Wuerzburg, also in Bavaria, on Monday – should not be allowed to undermine democratic freedoms.“For the second time in a few days we’ve been shaken by an incomprehensible bloodbath … Uncertainty and fear must not be allowed to gain the upper hand,” a visibly distressed Seehofer told reporters.Both the Wuerzburg attack, and the Bastille Day rampage by a truck driver in Nice, France that killed 84 people on July 14, were claimed by Islamic State militants.The Munich gunman, whose father a neighbour said had worked as a taxi driver, had no criminal record but had been a victim of theft in 2010 and assault in 2012, police said.De Maiziere said there were indications the killer had been bullied “by others his age”.
Police commandos, armed with night vision equipment and dogs, raided an apartment in the Munich neighbourhood of Maxvorstadt early on Saturday, where a neighbour told Reuters the gunman had lived with his parents for about four years.In the killer’s room, police found a German translation of a book entitled “Why Kids Kill – Inside the Minds of School Shooters”.Asked if the gunman had deliberately targeted young people, Munich police chief Andrae said that theory could be neither confirmed or ruled out.
Bavarian Interior Minister Joachim Herrmann said there were several signs he had been suffering from “not insignificant psychological troubles.”Three of his victims were 14 years old, two were 15, one was 17 and one 19. The others were 20 and 45, the police chief said.Police will also have to find out how the 18-year-old obtained the firearm in a country whose gun control system is described by the U.S. Library of Congress as being “among the most stringent in Europe”.“The investigation is still trying to determine where it came from,” Heimberger said, adding that the assailant was not the registered owner of the gun.“I am shocked. What happened to the boy? Only God knows what happened,” Telfije Dalipi, a 40-year-old Macedonian neighbour, told Reuters. “… I have no idea if he did anything bad elsewhere.”
Thiruvananthapuram: Amid growing clamour for ban on temple fireworks display in Kerala in wake of Kollam temple fire tragedy, the Travancore Devaswom Board, which manages about 1,255 temples in the state, Monday said it was not for a complete ban on such displays.Prayar Goapalakrishnan, President of TDB, said the board was against banning the pyrotechnics during temple festivals as they are part of rituals.“But it should be as per the restrictions of government and court orders with sufficient safety measures”, he told PTI.
“In various temples fireworks display is part of temple rituals and we cannot ban it”, he said.The board has issued an urgent circular to all temples under it, directing that the fireworks display be carried out only in compliance with rules and regulations.
Board member Ajay Tharayil, however, said he was in favour of a ‘total ban’ on major fireworks.
Meanwhile, Prof M Kutty, president of the Thiruvambadi Devaswom, one of the organisers of the famous Thrissur Pooram to be held on April 17 said, “We will be conducting the festival, observing all legal formalities“. The fireworks festivities cannot be cancelled, he said, adding it was an age-old tradition.Chief Minister Oommen Chandy had said yesterday that the government could impose regulations on the display of fireworks, but cannot ban them.
“In the name of rituals and traditions, we have limitations. We can regulate them (display of fireworks) but not ban them”, he said.
Senior Congress leader and former Union Minister A. K. Antony said government “should” consider the possibility of banning fireworks display in the light of the tragedy.A devastating fire had engulfed the 100-year-old Puttingal Devi Temple complex near here during an unauthorised display of fireworks yesterday, leaving 109 dead.